Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

A Blog By Any Other Name...

The title of my blog is there to remind me that in writing, all things are possible.
In my continuing education writing class last year, my professor, Robert Liddell, told us that when writing fiction we can do anything we want; we can put a dragon in the room. But whatever we do, we just have to make the reader believe it.
Believability can't be faked.  Either your writing rings true or it doesn't.  For instance, J.K. Rowling has the talent to make me suspend disbelief and indulge in the magical world of Harry Potter.  Every reader truly believes that brooms can fly and Hogwarts is currently accepting students.  But on the flip side, a recent read by one of my favorite authors lacked that believability on many levels: the characters' conversations were forced, the plot was thin, etc.  It was almost as if all the pieces of a puzzle were forced together instead of finding the right fit.  The result was a jumbled sense of dissatisfaction.  
So I keep coming back to this lesson about believability: the dragon in the room. I can put him there, but I have to make you believe it.  
But as the title of my blog?  
I keep looking at the title and thinking I can do better.
First of all, it sounds very Chinese, which I am not.  So I worry that I will mislead all two of my wonderful readers.
And if it doesn't sound Chinese, it can come off as overtly fantasy.  I do love the fantasy genre, but I don't associate strongly with it.  If anything I am a science fiction fan.  Or, more realistically, just a fan of fun reads.  Dragons may be many things, but 'fun' does not top the list.
So, I should put something fun and science-fictiony in the room instead....  When I think of such a thing I will let you know.  Maybe there are some suggestions out there.
That means that until I come up with something better, I'm stuck in this room with this dragon who keeps reminding me to keep writing!  And don't be afraid: whatever I write about, it can't be as silly as him.

No comments:

Post a Comment