Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why I Adore Stephenie Meyer (and her website!)

First of all, I loved Twilight!  It is an engrossing story that enchants me every time.  If nothing else, I would be enamored with Stephenie Meyer for producing such a wonderful book.
What drew me to Mrs. Meyer's website was Breaking Dawn.  A friend of mine had read the incomplete novel on Mrs. Meyer's site and recommended if to me.  So, during one night feeding where I needed to stay awake I fired up the itouch and navigated to http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/ and found the entire unpublished manuscript.  I was blown away on multiple levels.  I was thrilled that she had put this jewel online for free (the circumstances that got it there are unfortunate).  While reading the story I started browsing through other parts of her website, and I found unedited outtakes, insight into her writing process, and candid revelations about getting published.  Every new page on her site either entertained or enlightened me.
On her 'Twilight' page I found one of my biggest inspirations to date: Stephenie Meyer's bio.  In it she explains how she wrote Twilight in three months!  Suddenly writing a novel seemed possible!  It was reassuring to learn that she wrote the whole thing at night after she put her children to sleep (she even had a child that wasn't sleeping through the night yet!).  Hey! I thought, I have a child that doesn't sleep through the night!  Maybe I can still write novels too!  Granted, she actually went to school for this, and she was a stay at home mom, but I think I can get past my structural engineering degree and my 40 hour work week and find some time to write, too!
So far her website had entertained and inspired me.  As I read on, it educated me on the publishing process.  She also has links to sites that will help me when I start trying to get published in the future.  And finally, it impressed me.  Her site links to many fan sites, and there are so many resources for her fans to feel connected to her.  I think fan worship is an amazing and rare thing, especially for a writer of her caliber.
So for all of those reasons I fell for Mrs. Meyer like I had fallen for Twilight years before. She really is a treasure, and I highly recommend her website: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment